WED 10-2-19 ADAT North Cave Creek route inspections

Post up where you went, or read about what other folks did.
-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

WED 10-2-19 ADAT North Cave Creek route inspections

Post by -Spike- » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 am

We're headed up I-17 to catch some of the routes in the northern part of the Cave Creek district, notably FR57 and FR16. FR57 ends near the Verde Hot Springs at its east end. FR16 terminates to the north at the Verde River near the Childs power plant.

Full disclosure- We will be taking Dugas Road from the I-17 to the Tonto border. This road is the antithesis of smooth, with melon- to basketball-sized rocks making up the surface. Continuing that theme is FR68G, with the added attraction of having a section that is a very high and narrow shelf road. Our plan is to run 68G to 57, up to the Verde River, then back down to 16, up to the Verde again, then back south to 24, coming out of the Tonto on Cave Creek Road. This is likely to be a very long day, not counting any time spent checking out the sights. We will almost certainly be airing up after dark.

I don't recall anything particularly technically challenging about this route, but I seem to remember some loose hills along with all the rocks. A lift and larger tires are recommended, at the least.

Meeting time and place-
9AM at the Cordes Lakes Chevron gas station, across from the McDonalds at 19601 E Cordes Lakes Rd, Mayer, AZ 86333

Lunch will be provided for folks who let us know they're coming at least 24 hours before the event start time. Either register on the TRAL Event Calendar or reply to this thread. Please let us know if you plan on bringing guests. Look for the option to add a note if you register on the calendar.

Keep an eye on this thread for the latest updates.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.