10th Annual Hewitt Station Clean-up 1-19-19

Post up where you went, or read about what other folks did.
-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

10th Annual Hewitt Station Clean-up 1-19-19

Post by -Spike- » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

This event may be affected by the Government Shutdown. Check back as the date approaches for details.

Footprints Matter and Natural Restorations are hosting the 10th Annual Environmental Stewardship Event at Hewitt Station. This event dovetails with TRAL's mission of advancing responsible OHV recreation and we have traditionally had a good-sized group of TRAL members participate in years past. TRAL volunteers usually meet early and sign in as a group and work together for the day, but that's purely optional. The clean-up ends at noon with a free lunch from Red Bear Outfitters. TRAL often finds something fun to do in the afternoon.

We'd appreciate TRAL volunteers to sign up on our Events Calendar so we can keep track of our participation and let the hosts know how many of us to expect for lunch. Alternatively, you can sign up directly with Natural Restorations if you prefer.

Time and Place-
The event begins at 8am and lasts until lunch is served at noon. TRAL may meet earlier, stay tuned for updates.

Map of Sign-in location
Directions: From the Phoenix area- east on US 60 to N. Queen Valley Road, north to Hewitt Station Road (FR357), then northeast on Hewitt Station Road (FR357) for approximately 1.5 miles to the sign-in table.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

BrianR
First Name: Brian
Affiliation: TRAL

Re: 10th Annual Hewitt Station Clean-up 1-19-19

Post by BrianR » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Am I right in assuming the Government Shutdown shouldn’t affect our participation in this event? If we are interested in attending like many of us have in the past, can’t we all just sign up on their website, meet and work as a group of friends and just not wear our TRAL attire?
Brian,
90 4Runner

-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

Post by -Spike- » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:41 am

The potential issue is that the event is usually done with the permission, cooperation, and involvement of the Forest Service. They usually have a big presence at the event, to help with logistics, education, and law enforcement. Probably most importantly, they usually officially close the area to target shooting, for the safety of everyone involved.

Currently, the organizers are going ahead with the cleanup. I don't know what their plans are relating to the absence of Forest Service support. It's possible that they have some FS law enforcement personnel available, and/or they may be counting on other agencies. It's also possible that they may have to cancel the event if the shutdown is still in effect.

No matter what TRAL's position is, our members are free to do as they please on their own time, as long as it doesn't reflect poorly on TRAL. You are certainly welcome to participate in the event as a member of the general public. I don't have any more specific information, such as whether or not you could wear a TRAL shirt. It's still possible that we could be allowed to participate as TRAL members, Rich is looking into that.

The bottom line is that we don't know anything for sure, but when we do we'll post it here.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

azrich
First Name: Rich Smith

Post by azrich » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 am

I heard back from the clean up organizers and they have permission from the forest to go ahead with this event. Pinal county sheriff's will be providing law enforcement support. Please be sure to register either with natural restorations or on our event sign up for an accurate lunch count. Red Bear outfitters will be doing lunch again this year. Good burgers!

I'm working on contacting forest leadership to see if there are similar conditions under which we are allowed to hold events. Will let you know as soon as I hear.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

azrich
First Name: Rich Smith

Post by azrich » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 am

I will be at the cleanup tomorrow. Let's all meet at the check-in desk and head out to our assigned location together. Let's all get there about 7:45AM.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry