A word about TRAL runs during the Government Shutdown-

Post your upcoming runs, and read about what TRĀL and other people have on the calendar
-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

A word about TRAL runs during the Government Shutdown-

Post by -Spike- » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Updated 1-5-2019

TRAL is prohibited from doing any volunteer work in the Forest while the 'government shutdown' is in effect. This means that all TRAL volunteer work will be cancelled until the government is running. However, we will still post our planned volunteer runs so people can plan to attend if things return to normal. Please check back here for updates on upcoming runs, and be aware that if the government is still in shutdown at the time of a volunteer event, that event should be considered to be cancelled unless specifically noted otherwise.

TRAL's ADAT (ADopt A Trail) program is administered by TRAL employees, myself and Richard, and is not funded by the national government, but rather through a grant from Arizona State Parks through the OHV Decal fund. When working for TRAL in our employee capacity, we are not volunteers. While volunteers normally play a large role in the work that ADAT does, we have decided not to suspend operations and to maintain our schedule, without the generous contributions that volunteers provide. We will continue to post that schedule and work on completing the objectives of ADAT during the national government shutdown to the best of our ability without the aid of TRAL/Forest Service volunteers. If private citizens want to join us on a purely social basis, they are welcome. They need to understand that they are not covered by the Volunteer Agreement that is in place for Forest Service volunteers, which means they are not afforded any of the benefits due for said volunteers, such as coverage for accidents. They will not be able to work in any capacity that could be construed as 'volunteer work'.

We appreciate your patience and share your frustration with this situation. When our legislators work out their differences and fund the USDA, TRAL will be able to continue to offer opportunities for volunteering. Thanks for your understanding and commitment to the Tonto OHV community.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

jlabr2
First Name:
Affiliation:

Re: A word about TRAL runs during the Government Shutdown-

Post by jlabr2 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:10 am

I refuse to let the government run my life. So any info that I record on Collector will be disregarded?
Jeff Labertew - Jeep JK
Old retired Iowa dirt farmer.

-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

Post by -Spike- » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:42 am

What you do on your own time is your business. When signed in as volunteering for the Forest Service, you are considered an unpaid employee, with some benefits, such as supplemental coverage for injuries sustained 'on the job'. During the shutdown, those benefits are not available. TRAL has been told to suspend all volunteer field work. You are welcome to recreate in the Tonto like any other private citizen, but you can't work in the name of TRAL or the Forest Service. As always, you're welcome to document conditions on open public trails in Collector if you like, while recreating. Be advised that while signed-in volunteers are allowed to investigate and document unauthorized trails, that activity is illegal to the public.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

azrich
First Name: Rich Smith
Affiliation: TRAL

Post by azrich » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:42 am

Ben's answer is correct, Jeff. As always, we will gladly accept any information you document in Collector. You just have to know that you will not be acting as an official forest service volunteer while you are doing it.

On a personal note, as you might imagine, I am as frustrated by this stupid government shutdown as anyone. My willingness to play by the rules under these conditions is purely out of respect for Tonto leadership who have gone out of their way to adapt the usual rules and regulations to help allow our volunteer work to be more efficient and effective. The rest of the government, especially in Washington can go to... work, actually fixing something for a change.

Rich
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry