Asbestos Point (FR489)

Report problems, or check for issues on a trail you plan to run
Forum rules
Before you post- please search for the trail and see if there's already a thread on it, and if so add your comments to it. If you can't find a thread you started, chances are it got merged with an existing thread about the same trail. Please include the FR (Forest Road) number and/or common nickname (for example, FR3456, Log Corral), and as much detail as possible. TRAL can use this info to plan repairs or report the issues to the responsible agency, and hopefully get the problems resolved!
-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

Asbestos Point (FR489)

Post by -Spike- » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 pm

This is a very popular ~2.5 mile trail that runs southeast off of SR288. It climbs a mountain and ends at an old mine, with fantastic views from the top, and a fun drive to boot.

TRAL heard back in April of 2017 that this trail was washed out, due to changes in runoff because of a fire, and a particularly severe storm. With several visits and lots of work, and with the help of a lot of volunteers and the Copperstate4Wheelers club, we were able to make it passable. Sometime in 2018 the first mile or so was graded.

We have heard recently that there are a couple of very challenging spots higher up the mountain that need to be looked at. TRAL will probably schedule a run up there to assess the damages, and more runs if extensive repairs are necessary. Keep an eye on the Upcoming Events forum for those runs if you'd like to help!
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

camprats
First Name: Steve
Affiliation: JeepTheUSA.com

Re: Asbestos Point (FR489)

Post by camprats » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

We did this trail we call Angel Wings in November. It has challenges but is passable. It looked like a large group had been there shortly before us.

I am new to this group. Hope it is acceptable to link to my own website. https://www.jeeptheusa.com/angel-wings-etc-gp-30.html

RichardLillard1
First Name: Richard
Affiliation: TRAL

Re: Asbestos Point (FR489)

Post by RichardLillard1 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Most recent run by us can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=555