SAT 5-4-19 Log Corral/FR393 Assessment/Repairs

Post up where you went, or read about what other folks did.
-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

SAT 5-4-19 Log Corral/FR393 Assessment/Repairs

Post by -Spike- » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:04 pm

We're planning to run Log Corral (FR3456) and the Power Line trail (FR393) to check out reports of serious brush, downed trees and an eroded spot. Bring your brushing tools! We'll have tools along to make route repairs as we go, and we hope to come out the north end of 393. If Log Corral is not passable for our group we may enter and exit FR393 at the north end.

Meeting Time and Place:
8:00 am at Baja Gas Station, 10180 N Fort McDowell Rd, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264

Lunch will be provided for folks who let us know they're coming at least 24 hours before the event start time. Either register on the TRAL Event Calendar or reply to this thread. Please let us know if you plan on bringing guests. Look for the option to add a note if you register on the calendar.

Keep an eye on this thread for the latest updates.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

jlabr2
First Name: Jeff
Affiliation: M&F

Re: SAT 5-4-19 Log Corral/FR393 Assessment/Repairs

Post by jlabr2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:01 am

I want to help. I have to be home by 3pm though. Will that be a problem? I am willing to work on brushing on Log Corral by myself and leave when I need to.
Jeff Labertew - Jeep JK
Old retired Iowa dirt farmer.

-Spike-

Post by -Spike- » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:15 am

No problem at all! I'll ask you to text or email me when you get back to pavement or home or whatever's convenient, just to make sure you're not feeding the vultures. We frown on that.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

pres
First Name: Pres
Affiliation: TRAL

Post by pres » Thu May 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Sign me up. I will be at Bush and 87
If you are lucky enough to go wheeling, you are lucky enough.

jlabr2
First Name: Jeff
Affiliation: M&F

Post by jlabr2 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm

I will be waiting with Pres.
Jeff Labertew - Jeep JK
Old retired Iowa dirt farmer.

-Spike-

Post by -Spike- » Thu May 02, 2019 4:41 pm

10-4
-Ben

-Spike-

Post by -Spike- » Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 pm

With 4 of us in the group, we got all the heavy brush on Log Corral taken care of, yay! Fortunately it looked like some of the heavier stuff had already been taken care of by other users, so our sawsall, hedgers and various hand tools were up to the task. We had lunch along Alder Creek on 393, then checked out the eroded spot. It's definitely eroded, a hairy off-camber turn on a ~ 5 foot shelf, with little traction and potential for the vehicle to slide over the edge. We spent a little time fortifying the work that other users have already done, shoring up the trail edge with available rock, and proceeded with no issues. Usually we'd look at lowering the high side, but it looks to be solid rock. We'll explore our options and monitor the spot. We found a similar spot a bit north of that, which looks like it might be fixable by lowering the high side. We're right on the edge of the hot season so this will probably have to wait until after summer. Trouble at either spot will probably result in a fairly soft roll at worst, and both are easily visible on approach so drivers can decide if they want to continue or not.
-Ben

axel road
First Name: Christine
Affiliation: AZ Krawlers & TRAL

Post by axel road » Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for brushing this trail, it really needed it! Sorry we couldn't be there, as we had already committed to another event. Was this the erosion spot you looked at? We had marked it on Collector. We got thru, but it was sketchy. There were two jeeps that kept staying ahead of us on this trail but when we got to this spot they were sitting there waiting for us to see if we thought is was passable.
Attachments
20181216_140051.jpg
20181216_140051.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 572 times
Crusin' and playin' the radio, With no particular place to go - Chuck Berry

axel road
First Name: Christine
Affiliation: AZ Krawlers & TRAL

Post by axel road » Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 am

Rock stacking.
Attachments
20181216_135547.jpg
20181216_135547.jpg (4.37 MiB) Viewed 571 times
Crusin' and playin' the radio, With no particular place to go - Chuck Berry

-Spike-

Post by -Spike- » Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Yep, that was the first spot, running 393 north. We added to the stack. Still just as off-camber, but there's a little extra edge to work with.
-Ben