ADAT Signing Run, Young (via Globe) 6-8-18 through 6-10-18

Post up where you went, or read about what other folks did.
RichardLillard1
First Name: Richard
Affiliation: TRAL

ADAT Signing Run, Young (via Globe) 6-8-18 through 6-10-18

Post by RichardLillard1 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:33 am

We have a placeholder event on the calendar for Saturday, June 9th. Details forthcoming, so please check this thread for updates.

UPDATE-
We're going to Young! We're continuing our focus on the remaining red routes on the east side of the Tonto, so we'll be starting in Globe this time, running up the SR-188 to the SR-288, to FR203 up to FR202 and then probably FR54 to Young. We plan to inspect routes along 203 and 202 along the way on Friday and on the return trip Sunday. We'll play it by ear on Saturday.

Please register on the TRAL Calendar at least 24 hours prior to the event if you plan to attend so we can make arrangements for food and lodging. You can add notes there if you plan on bringing guests.

LODGING- There are currently 4 rooms open at the FS barracks, which could become more or less. Those signed up first will have dibs on rooms. We may need to double-bunk. We also have the option of sleeping outside there, or camping in the area (FIRE RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT- no wood or charcoal fires, no smoking outside, etc).

MEALS- In a slight change to the usual procedure, TRAL will provide breakfasts at the barracks and trail lunches, volunteers will be on their own for dinners. Bring your own, or The Antlers in Young is a popular restaurant that's open until 9pm, and the Bruzzi Vineyard serves salads, pizzas, and calzones until 7pm.

MEETING TIME AND PLACE-
9am Friday 6-8-18
Fry's Fuel Center
2115 W Highway 60, #200, Miami, AZ 85539

For those that would like to meet us in Young, please find us at the barracks at the Pleasant Valley Ranger District Office no later than 9AM on Saturday or Sunday. You can also find us there in the evenings Friday and Saturday, but there's no guarantee what time we'll be there. The barracks are at the end of Barracks Road, see the map link for more details. The road into the Ranger's compound is sometimes chained, contact Ben or Richard via email, text, or phone to make arrangements if you plan on joining us. You can also PM either of us or reply to this thread if you need contact information.

RichardLillard1
First Name: Richard

Re: ADAT Signing Run, TBD - 6-9-18

Post by RichardLillard1 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 pm

We were thinking this would be a good Young weekend, giving some the option to camp or stay at the barracks. Gary Lollman has told me the barracks will have availability, but others have expressed interest in camping so I would like to open that discussion up.

Thinking head up on Friday, June 8th and head home on Sunday, June 10th.

Please post up with your input as it helps with reserving rooms at the barracks and makes overall planning easier.

Thanks!

azrich
First Name: Rich Smith

Post by azrich » Wed May 23, 2018 4:24 pm

Dang! I've been looking forward to a Young trip but I'll be out of town that weekend.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

pres
First Name: Pres

Post by pres » Mon May 28, 2018 6:47 am

I'm good with barracks only. Originally I thought the southern part needed to be worked from a camping location. Sign me up!
If you are lucky enough to go wheeling, you are lucky enough.

blubear
First Name: Brad
Affiliation: TRAL OHVA

Post by blubear » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:46 pm

is it a good idea to be running around in the woods when the forest is almost all closed for fire danger ? jut saying , OHVA canceled all events statewide .
" Jeeping " The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere and taking all day to do it. Unknow
Brad J.

jlabr2
First Name: Jeff
Affiliation: M&F

Post by jlabr2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Hey! If it is not closed, enjoy it! They only closed part of the forest because there are IDIOTS out there. We responsible people should not stay home. That's why the Mrs. and I are going camping the next weekend up on the Rim in the Sitgreaves Forest that is still open.
Jeff Labertew - Jeep JK
Old retired Iowa dirt farmer.

-Spike-
First Name: Ben E
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

Post by -Spike- » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Actually, only a couple of sections of Tonto are closed at the moment, although I've heard that they are considering closing more areas. My personal opinion is that if they deem it open, we can enjoy it like any other user. We are more mindful of the fire danger than the average person, and can help the effort by talking to users that we meet about how important it is to heed the restrictions that are in place. I have spoken with a couple of Forest Service folks, and they're very happy to have us doing our thing as long as the areas are open.

We are awaiting news from Gary, the FS recreation guy in Pleasant Valley, about barracks availability- some fire crews are moving around. We should know more about that and any further closures shortly.
-Ben

Contact Richard Lillard at adat@tralaz.org for information about TRAL's Adopt a Trail (ADAT) program.
Contact me via PM or tral.bene@gmail.com if you are interested in receiving training to inspect the trails in Tonto National Forest, offered through the ADAT program.

blubear
First Name: Brad
Affiliation: TRAL OHVA

Post by blubear » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 pm

ok no problems hey old retied dirt farmer why don't you and the misses go to young can go to the antlers for Saturday night dinner
" Jeeping " The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere and taking all day to do it. Unknow
Brad J.

jlabr2
First Name: Jeff
Affiliation: M&F

Post by jlabr2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:45 pm

That is an idea. We will see. Do they allow dogs? Probably not. :bang:
Jeff Labertew - Jeep JK
Old retired Iowa dirt farmer.

DirtDawg Jeff
First Name: DirtDawg Jeff
Affiliation: Tonto Recreation Alliance

Post by DirtDawg Jeff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:10 pm

^^^ The Antlers' outdoor patio is "dog friendly", at least was previously for late afternoon lunch. Never been in Young late enough to go there for dinner, so unsure if their policy is same in the evening. Call 'em and ask...